Friday, September 26, 2008

NL Cy Young Award

We're live from a famous volleyball court, which will remain nameless, with the next award winner for the 2008 MLB season. Who says I'm not dedicated to this thing. We're just minutes away from NCAA Division-I volleyball action, yet you will still get my unfiltered thoughts here at The Card.

NOTE: The identity of the arena is being kept secret to guard against my bosses having Google Alerts. They really think I work my tail off. It's amazing how dedicated I look while I research the value of Kyle Eckel to the New England Patriots. It's like a gift. It's like I can't control it.

Winner - Tim Lincecum

Bet you thought I was going with Brandon Webb for this one. Well, it wouldn't be wrong to pick Webb, it's just more right to pick Lincecum. When it comes down to the major categories (wins, strikeouts and ERA), Webb has the advantage in just the wins column. Lincecum is 17-5, Webb 22-7, but Lincecum ranks second in ERA and first in strikeouts. Lincecum's 252 strikeouts stand 46 Ks ahead of second place in the NL and are tops in the entire Major League. This is also one award where your team's lack of success may actually help you, because 17 wins for the pathetic Giants look pretty good at the end of the season (Note: 22 wins for the sub-.500 D-Backs is pretty good too).

Lincecum is truly an emerging star in the big leagues. His 5-11 170 lb. frame reminds people of Pedro Martinez in his prime, and his numbers don't hurt his cause one bit.

Runner up - Brandon Webb

Didn't you read what I just wrote? If not, go back and review. There will be an exam on all this next week, so be prepared.

No comments: