Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rolaids Reliever of the Year

First, can we talk about how awesome it is that an award is named after an antacid? Seriously, the marketing on this one was genius. And Rolaids spells R-E-L-I-E-F was just such a smart slogan to link up with this award. Plus, managers that don't have a great bullpen will surely need some of those free Rolaids packs they probably get in the mail for endorsing this sponsorship.

Usually The Card does not approve of such shameless advertising, but this one works for so many reasons.

Winner - Francisco Rodriguez

I know I've bashed him in this space before as being far from a dominant closer. It's true. I'm not backing down from that statement. If you asked me who I would want right now to close a game, I would start with Mariano Rivera, then make my way down the list through Papelbon, Nathan and probably Bobby Jenks before I get to K-Rod. Joakim Soria is closing fast to make that list in the years to come.

But when it comes down to it, the award is about who had the best year, not who is the best player. Sure, K-Rod's had 68 save opportunities (and blown seven of them), but we can't penalize the guy for having chances. Alex Rodriguez had plenty of chances to drive in runs last year in the Yankees lineup, but that didn't make him any less valuable to his team's success.

It hurts me to do this, but I have to give K-Rod the award even though I think he's incredibly overrated. He set the records for saves in a season (61 and counting), and he allowed just four home runs in 66.1 innings. As good as he was this year, I will still be looking forward to the Red Sox facing him with two on in the ninth inning of a meaningful game next week.

Runner up: Mariano Rivera

Why won't this guy get old? All he did at age 38 was convert all but one save chance. He was ubelieveable and practically unhittable. I mean, he only allowed 49 runners to reach base all season in 68.1 innings so far. I hate him so much, but it's damn hard not to respect him.

Second runner up: Joakim Soria

Let me just gush over this 24-year-old phenom for a second. No one except fantasy nerds knows about him because he plays on the Royals, but his numbers are unreal. Soria allowed just 39 hits in 66.1 innings so far this year, and he converted 41-44 save opportunities (93 percent), which was an even better conversion rate than Rodriguez (90 percent) and everyone else in the league besides Rivera. If Soria can cut down on the walks (17 so far this year) he will be a real star for years to come.

No comments: